The perfect lunch to take to University, work or a picnic. Creamy hummus, crunchy falafel and soft pitta bread make up the simplest of ingredients for this recipe. It’s something a little bit different to a typical sandwich and works well with some crisps or popcorn on the side! The cost per serving is just £1.41 – a third of the price of a typical meal deal!
Cost per serving: £1.41
- 4 x ready made falafel (most supermarkets sell this in the ready-meal, free-from or international food aisles)
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1/4 red pepper
- 60g cucumber
- Handful of salad leaves
- 40g sweetcorn, defrosted
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 wholemeal pitta
- Step 1 Finely chop your red pepper and cucumber and combine in a bowl with the salad leaves and sweetcorn.
- Step 2 Crumble the falafel with your hands into large chunks and add to the bowl with the hummus and a squeeze of lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 3 Toast your pitta, then carefully slice it in half and stuff with the falafel salad mix.
- Step 4 Wrap in foil to eat for lunch in the library the next day or eat immediately!
- Step 5 TIP: if you have too much salad mix for your pitta, eat the leftovers as a side salad or make two pittas!