This taco bowl packs a ton of veggies with delicious Mexican flavours. Double up this recipe to eat the following day for lunch, this will save you time preparing food, save you money from buying lunch out and about and save product waste by using your own Tupperware!
Mexican Taco Bowls
Cost per serving: £2.30
- 75g brown rice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 red onion, diced
- 80g cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 lime
- 40g sweetcorn, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Iceberg lettuce
- Tortilla chips or 1 wholemeal wrap
- Step 1 Add the rice and spices to pan of water, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- Step 2 Prepare the taco bowls: line them with the iceberg lettuce, top with the onion, tomatoes, avocado and sweetcorn.
- Step 3 When the rice has finished cooking, stir in the kidney beans and heat through for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Step 4 Add the rice and kidney bean mix to the bowls and top with the tortilla chips.
- Step 5 If using a wholemeap wrap, cut the wrap into trianges, place on a baking tray with oil and salt and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it to check it doesn’t burn!
- Step 6 Squeeze the lime over the dish.