This pasta dish comes together in less than 15 minutes and finally uses ingredients that don’t include chopped tomatoes as the pasta sauce base! Tofu is the centre piece of this recipe, boosting it’s protein content to keep you fuller for longer. This dish also tastes great eaten the next day for a leftovers lunch, or make a batch of sauce a portion it into sandwich bags to freeze for another day. You will need a blender for this recipe!
High Protein Creamy Tofu Pasta
Cost per serving: £1.30
- 300g penne pasta
- 1 block of firm tofu (we use a brand called Cauldron, make sure it's firm!)
- 200g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 6 tbsp yoghurt (we use Alpro coconut yoghurt)
- 50ml soy milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, adds a great cheesy flavour!)
- 2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- Step 1 Boil a pan of water, add the pasta and simmer for 7-8 minutes until softened.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, fry the garlic and mushrooms in a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper and stir fry until softened.
- Step 3 Crumble the tofu into several pieces using your hands and add to a blender with the spices, yoghurt, milk and nutritional yeast, if using.
- Step 4 Blend until the sauce is silky smooth, adding more soy milk or water to thin if necessary.
- Step 5 Drain the pasta and put back into the pan with the tofu sauce and mushrooms. Heat on a medium temperature until the pasta is fully coated.
- Step 6 Add salt and pepper to taste, enjoy!
- Step 7 If you’re making this for one person and want to freeze the sauce, simply pour a 1/4 of the sauce into your pasta and portion the rest of the sauce into sandwich bags to freeze.